Home Forums SEAMEO INNOTECH “Right Click” Podcast Series Digital Citizenship

• Digital Citizenship

Profile photo of jacob5
    jacob5
    Participant

There are many opportunities online. Through the use of internet technology, we can enjoy the following benefits: First, Engagement in other communities; and second, Engagement in communities with interest similar to us, to mention a few.

The podcast anchor and the resource speaker define Digital Citizenship as anyone who used the internet. And based from the definition given, I consider myself as such. I enjoy using some of its elements like the digital education and digital commerce.

Right now, I am enrolled in my post graduate studies. My class is conducted online. I usually refer Google for my reports, problems and researches. Popular search engines like Google, Yahoo, etc. are my topmost choice as they offer an easy and instant reach to the vast amount of information in just a few seconds. Moreover, there’s no doubt that the ability to sell online has made many businesses viable and profitable. I sell livestock online. Through this facility of the internet technology, I can reach local and international costumers (Filipinos abroad).

As an ALS implementer, while we are yet hindered to meet physically because of the pandemic, we (ALS teachers and ALS focal persons) still maintaining a culture of openness. We opted to use video conferencing for majority of our communications.

While we are getting lots from what the internet has to offer, remember that users are required to be responsible. Being a responsible digital citizen means having the online social skills to take part in online community life in an ethical and respectful way. Manners are important – even in the digital realm. Our top advice? Don’t say anything to anyone online, that you wouldn’t say to them if you met them face to face.

As a school leader, I should see to it that students, ALS learners in particular, should practice skills showing proper behavior online. Teachers can initially provide students with a list of approved Web sites to use in class. However, students must be empowered to evaluate sites to make responsible and ethical decisions while surfing the Net. This practice will be helpful when students have to complete research for school or work. Students must be able to recognize if information on a site is valid and credible. Teaching students to critically evaluate Web sites will prepare them for their future education and profession (Pinkham, Wintle, and Silvernail, 2008).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.